Friday, May 24, 2013

Before the Journey


I am finally sitting in the comfort of my own home.  I just finished finals on May 16th, left Northwestern for the summer and was able to come home to River Falls and Baldwin, WI, where my parents live.  Being done with school for a while and having a summer to “rest” is wonderful.  I have already enjoyed a day of kayaking down the Kinni River in River Falls, the tulips growing around my mom’s house, frisbee with my dad and the delight of home-cooked meals.  I am finally able to fully invest time into preparing for my adventure to Ecuador.

I am preparing for the trip by reading a couple books.  Our supervisors for the trip recommended that we read two books, Foreign to Familiar by Lanier and A Daily Devotional: Before You Go by Hempling.  These books have been very helpful so far for me to understand some of the cultural shock that occurs when traveling outside of the United States and also the preparation that is needed to best serve people in another country.  I also have sent out all of my support letters in the mail to many of friends and family.

One update that I have recently been notified of concerning support raising is that HCJB Global will match dollar for dollar donations up to $600 from now until the end of the day on May 28th.  Thank you for all of your support thus far!  I look forward to keeping you all posted on more of my preparation for Ecuador!

No comments:

Post a Comment